Monday, June 13, 2011

Painting - Mixed Media Portrait - Major work (episode 2)

Continued to work on the portrait today for a couple of hours. I finished the watercolour on it yesterday and started using pastel today.
This is the final watercolour layer.

I've used pastel in the background and on the figure and face. Probably need some more layers of colour in the hair.

I didn't like the pastel background so went over it with water and I'm much happier with the way it looks. I also added water to the shirt, so now only the face and hair have straight pastel, and I much prefer that.

I've had a lot of trouble with the eyes and mouth - which just shows that I do prefer to work with a detailed drawing beforehand. The angle of the subject makes the mouth very hard to see properly, and it is such a weird angle. And at least she doesn't have crazy eyes, they're just not quite right yet.

Here is a close up of the face as it is now. The mouth sort of disappears into the cheek behind it and there is not much difference in the tone between the two, which makes it difficult to draw.

I'll take this into class on Friday and I'm sure my teacher will have some very useful suggestions to finish this.

No comments: