Sunday, May 29, 2011

Painting - Mixed Media Portraits

I chickened out in the last post and decided not to post the portrait I initially painted in class on Friday. I am really unhappy with it - so much so I decided to have another go. Luckily, I took a photo to work from as my class mate is not at home with me this weekend *g*.

Here is the first portrait I did. I didn't draw in any shapes, just basic marks for top of head, chin, eyes and then started using watercolour. It is not a good painting at all. The face is twisted and the eyes to mouth are out of alignment. But I experimented and I feel more comfortable with watercolour after playing as I did with this portrait.






So here is my second attempt. I worked on it for about an hour and a half, about the same time as I worked on the other one in class. This time I drew in the face, and main features.





Now this is more like it! For an hour and a half's painting I am more than happy with this. I have had to relearn how to use watercolour and I am now feeling more confident with the way our teacher has taught us. I was initially taught to water down the colour a lot and then build up layers of colour to get what I wanted. What we have been shown now is to just go for it and water down the colour as we go if needed.

I am not saying that I love watercolour now, that I am converted, but I am much happier about using it after playing at home without the pressure of finishing within class time.

1 comment:

Robyn G. said...

Absolutely fantastic... your 2nd portrait is really great and captures your classmate well.
Very nice!!