Friday, April 01, 2011

Still Life (Acrylics) - Full Colour Palette - WIP#1

We started work on our still life using the full colour palette in acrylics today. After completing the colour wheel last week, I realised that I wanted to use the better quality acrylics. Luckily for me, a local art shop was moving and had a sale of 25% off, so I purchased the colours ready for this week.

What a difference the new colours make! I bought Matisse acrylics and they are wonderful. The Chromacryl are great to start out with but just looking at the warm yellow (Cadmium yellow) in comparison in the tubes, there is no contest as to which is the better colour.






The still life is canisters, pumpkins and fruit.

We started by doing thumbnails to ascertain how the set up would best look on the canvas. Then sketched in on the canvas with a light yellow wash. After that we worked tonally with a yellow ochre/burnt sienna wash. And then we got to start using colour!

I hope to get some more work done on this at home before our final class of term next Friday.

No comments: