Wednesday, March 02, 2011

I Love Wednesdays - Drawing & Ceramics class

I have had the best day at school today! With both Ceramics and Drawing on the same day, it is full on but a lot of fun.

First up in Ceramics, we found out we are doing a self-portrait (surprise, surprise, considering we have to do one in almost every subject). Next week we have to take in a photo to work from or a mirror and create a flat portrait onto which we add clay to build it up. We bought some paper clay today and had a practice. This is my result - not a self portrait at this stage, just a chance to try out the techniques.


I love the way you can exaggerate the features and just play and get your hands dirty. Can't wait for next week now as it will be a challenge to actually try and make it look like a real face rather than one out of my head.

In Drawing today, we worked on ink landscapes. We used an A2 sheet of watercolour paper, and using masking tape, split the sheet up into nine smaller panels. In each panel we were to create a landscape just using lines and textures/shapes, no buildings or structures.

Now, I really didn't get it when I was learning watercolours - I just didn't like painting landscapes. But I can now say a big thank you to my tutor at BACG, Dawn, for teaching me the basics on how to use water medium. I had a blast. When it is reduced to just using lines and sponge and shapes, making a landscape seems so much easier - no pressure.

(The picture wasn't sitting flat when I took this picture, so sorry for the curves at the edges!).

I can see I'm still a bit tentative about my darks, but these are a great improvement on the watercolour landscapes I did last year - and these were out of my head, not a photograph! My tutor only made positive comments in her critique of my work. She liked how I had left the white paper for my light areas instead of colouring it in. One of the other students did some really moody pieces that were fantastic - he knows how to use the darks really well.

I'm going to have to continue to play with ink.

And I think Wednesday is going to become my favourite day of the week!

2 comments:

Bruce Long said...

how big is the ceramic face? If you ever notice it missing, my bbq area would be a good place to start looking!!

Elaine said...

The face is somewhere around A4 size, maybe a little wider - didn't measure it. It is yours if we can transport it to you safely! Hopefully we are going to glaze it in some way at Tafe, but if not I can get it fired and glazed at my local art & craft group.
Glad you like it - I loved making it.