Friday, February 25, 2011

Tonal Painting

Painting today. I haven't really done much painting - with paint that is, not pastels - except with K. and they were usually simplistic, silly paintings just for fun for her. So even though we are just working with black and white paint, it is a lot of fun.

This is the sketch I started with, drawn from life from a set up in the class room. It feels strange to sketch with paint, very different from sketching with pencil or chalk.

This was the result after about 1 hour of class time. Still a lot more to do but it is starting to look interesting. We used thinner washes (acrylic mixed with water) to start the underpainting. And I am really happy with the background.

I have started to go back and add some stronger contrasts, which I think will improve this no end. We were also shown how to blend colours, which I have experimented with on the two smaller bottles. The pumpkin in the platter looks more like a Christmas pudding at this stage, but then I haven't done that much with it yet.

The aim is to finish this in class next week, but I may have a play over the weekend and see what I can do.

No comments: