Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pottery - Pelican - WIP#5

I have completed some more work on the pelican. This photo is from last Wednesday - I forgot to post it up. Oops!


I was doing sgraffito - hope I got that right! - and actually carving into the clay I had added only a few days before to get the wings and feathers to look like, well, wings and feathers.

I had to leave the bird for two weeks as my tutor was away and in that time the wings cracked a bit. But thankfully we have been able to repair them (drying at a different rate to the body was the problem) and I have continued working on the wings and the head and generally making this pelican look more like a pelican.

And, of course, I forgot to take a photo after working on the bird today for about three hours. I think I have pretty much finished with the markings I wanted to make. Now it just needs to dry (without any more cracking) and then I get to paint it!

Next thing I make will be smaller, but I have learnt so much through the process of making this rather large piece. I'll post an updated pic soon.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I love Pelicans and this looks really nice!

Robyn G. said...

Oh yeah it's looking fantastic!!