Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Watercolour Class #1

Last Tuesday night I did my first watercolour class. My only experience with painting has been with pastels, a dry medium, so it is going to be fun to learn something different.

We started with creating some colour charts to get a feel for mixing colour and for applying the wash to paper.




That took a while as I have never mixed paint before, and learning about mixing the water - just the right amount of water to get the wash I wanted - was certainly different.

After completing those three charts, it was onto painting a gum tree, following the guidelines that the tutor gave me.

As I haven't handled a paint brush before other than a massive bristle brush with poster paint with my daughter, it was necessary to be shown how to handle the brush to get the effects necessary to make this look like a tree.

There is certainly going to be an intense learning curve with watercolour for me. I can draw, so that is a blessing, but learning the ins and outs of watercolours is going to be complex but I think interesting.

I'm off to class again now, so I'll post the results (unless I'm too embarrassed by them...lol) as soon as I get the chance to take a pic.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Lovely work! Watercolor is the most undervalued media and yet the hardest to master..in fact I doubt it can be "mastered" as the paint does its' thing and you have to relinquish control and literally go with the flow. I love the wonderful transparency effects and color you can get with this medium.I live in a very dry climate and it can be a challenge. But keep at it..it will be fun and maddening at the same time!

Elaine said...

Thanks Kay. I'm finding it very interesting to work with watercolour, but so very different from pastels. I'll have to wait and see how it goes.