Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Abandoned - WIP#1&2 (Old Car Pastel Painting)

I finished the border collie pup painting a week ago - but forgot to take a final photo as I had to rush to get it framed in time to enter it into a show. I'll have to take a photo in the frame and will post it once I have.

So I have moved on to something new. An old school friend took a trip to the US, travelling around on a Harley, and he took a lot of film/photos, which he shared on Facebook. He has very generously let me use a pic he took of a broken down old car as a photo reference - thanks Richard! I wanted a change from animals, so this was perfect.

 
This was the first stage of the painting - sketching it in. There was a lot of measuring to get it to look somewhat like the original. This is 16" x 12" on Art Spectrum Colourfix in a very rusty colour - perfect for the old bomb!
I started blocking in some colour today. I think the radiator needs a little widening yet, but small details like that will be changed as I work more colour in.

It's funny, but I had to get the headlights in - just like the eyes of an animal, I had to do them first. Of course, at the moment they are just ellipses of one to two colours, but they are what will draw the eye in once finished I think. Anyway, I'll see what happens as I add more layers of colour. It's early days yet.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun, and a challenge, to paint.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I'm loving this so far!
It's going to be fantastic when finished :D