Friday, January 29, 2010

Art Goals for 2010

So, time to think about my goals for this year. K. starts school so I'm going to have more time. More time means I'll find more to fill it with, so I'm going to have to watch I don't over-schedule, and it may also mean more time-wasting, which is very easy to do.

I've been reading a few blog entries over at London Art Girl by Lee Tetrault. She has just written a blog post about setting goals and attaining them, or not as the case may be, and giving yourself some slack if you don't reach your goals due to unforeseen circumstances. I liked what she was saying, so it got me thinking about what I want to achieve this year. I'll focus on the weekly stuff off-line *g*. (And, on a side note, this particular blog entry about 30 second sketches is something I'm going to do. I like the idea of seeing where my sketches take me.)

Things to learn this year:
I am going to learn some watercolour this year and see if I can play around with some acrylics and oils too (but watercolour is the main goal here). I've seen a lot of pastel paintings with watercolour underpaintings and I'd like to give it a go. I'd like to have an understanding about how watercolour works.

BACG offers pottery classes so I am going to get my hands a little muddy and see how it feels. If I like it, I'll continue. If I don't, that's okay and at least I'll know.

Painting:
I want to enter two paintings in each of the following shows: Blacktown City Show (Feb), Castle Hill Show (Mar)and Lane Cove Art Awards (Jul). I have been told of an upcoming art competition in May, so I have to prepare something for that, also. I'll have to find another show/exhibition for later in the year.

I'll be aiming to spend three mornings painting and one evening each week, which is quite an increase on my time up until now. As I have to paint away from home, I think this will work quite well.

Business:
Set up a web site or blog just for my paintings. This blog is more for my personal arts and crafts, not a business oriented blog, so I would like to set up something distinct from this.  I want to aim for some more commission business, especially with animals (dogs/cats in particular).


I think all of this is pretty good for a year. In amongst all this, I'll be volunteering at K's school in canteen and maybe reading if they need it. K and I are both going to be learning new things this year, and it should be fun.

No comments: