Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Self Portrait - WIP#3

I think everyone has issues about how they see themselves, no matter how good looking they are (or not), or think they are (or not). So when I was asked to create a self-portrait for a friend's blog, it was quite confronting.

A lot of artists have created self-portraits, using them as a tool to learn better how to paint portraits using themselves as the model. I have done a pencil sketch in the past, but that was not for general consumption.

So, here it is, still a work in progress, but at a stage I am willing to share. It is funny but because it was my own face, I felt very strange about posting the early WIPs of the painting. Something about feeling incomplete I think.


 (A3 size, on AS Colourfix, lots of different soft pastels)

There are still issues of shading that I have to deal with and I haven't really touched the hair other than to get the shape in, the glasses are not quite right... I could keep on going. Do you think I might be a tad self-critical???? The perfectionist in me is worse on this self portrait than on any other painting I have worked on!

My friend told me to make it fun, even just a line drawing. But, no, not me... I am very detail oriented so it is going to be a full blown portrait.

Now just to get those values right!

2 comments:

Bruce Long said...

would you ideally like your self portrait to reveal more about you and your personality, or more about your skill as an artist?

Elaine said...

I don't like to reveal a lot about myself at the best of times, so I don't think that is my aim. I suppose I want to get a good likeness - which it isn't at the moment.
As I said, the perfectionist is rearing its head and I don't know if I will be truly happy with this painting ever, even when it is finished. At this stage I don't know if I am able to do 'representational' art, if you know what I mean by that, I am more able to do realism. I think I am going to have to play some more with painting to get to that point, to let go and not think about the process so much.

Actually, this portrait reveals more about me than I necessarily want it to even now when I'm aiming for realism.

Maybe I'll go back to the drawing board and spend a bit of time playing and stop thinking about the process altogether.