Thursday, March 26, 2009

Little Visitors in our backyard

We have had a pretty stray cat visiting our backyard quite a bit lately. I think we have one of the quietest backyards in our area - no dogs, cats. So it has hung around. Little did we know that it had a litter of kittens - six in fact. I discovered them the day before yesterday when I went out and sat on the edge of our sandpit and had a chat to the cat. I saw movement in the garden out of the corner of my eye, looked through the bushes and discovered the kittens.

They are about 10 days old we think. Mumma cat has kept them well hidden. We are feeding the cat now - and she was very hungry - and the kittens look well cared for so she is a good mumma. We want to help her keep healthy and keep the kittens healthy. We are going to get the stuff we need to worm them and anything else necessary to look after them.

There are two black kittens, one all black the other with white toes, and four tabby kittens, one with a white chest, one with a cream snout, the other two all tabby. I patted one of the kittens last night, and this morning, mumma cat was so pleased to see food that she let me pat her, then hissed at me, then rubbed against my hand and then hissed again.

I took a couple of photos this morning. Didn't want to disturb them too much, so not the best photos. Need to read up on my camera so that it isn't the leaves that I focus on but the cats! :) Point and click isn't good enough in a case like this.

Mumma cat beginning to feed a few of the kittens:


One of the black kittens exploring:


This is the best pic I got of two of the tabby kittens


They have a really dry nest in our garden. We had a storm last night and I spoke to a friend who knows a lot about cats and she said it was fine to leave them in their nest. We will try and befriend the mother and get them into shelter in a space under our house as soon as we can.

They are so cute!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Ohhhhhhh!!! How neat that you found them and can feed her so they are all healthy!!! Good on you!!
Funny Mummy cat... she sounds all mixed up *giggle*

Elaine said...

I've just been out to check on them again and Mummy cat was feeding a couple of the kittens. I took out some fresh dried food and she came over to me and rubbed up against me so she is beginning to trust me. The kittens are so cute! I can't wait till they start coming to us too. Mummy cat is quite small really. I think she is quite young, but is such a good mum to her kits. I think because we fed her she has stayed in our yard all day today instead of having to go hunting for food. I'm really glad we found her.