Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Spider Orchid - WIP#1

I have had the most fantastic night at art class tonight. When I got there I didn't know what I was going to work on, having just finished the Blue Sun Orchid painting. I had a couple of ideas but they just didn't grab me. Then I decided to do another orchid. Many thanks to Tom for his wonderful photos!

Boy! am I glad I decided to do this orchid. Something just clicked once I'd made the decision. I chose the paper and sketched out the flower in no time at all. (I didn't even have to make any corrections to proportion!) And then I just started blocking in the pastel. Next thing I knew it was five to nine and time to pack up and I had this:-

My instructor believes I'll finish it next class. It seems that working on the very large painting may have made a difference to how I paint. I don't care why, I am just so excited tonight at the amount I have accomplished in two hours.

On Art Spectrum Colourfix, dark brown, 9"x12". Various soft pastels and pastel pencils.

The flower is called a Majestic Spider Orchid and it is a wild orchid from Western Australia. I fell in love with this flower when I first saw it as it made me think of a dancer. It is amazing what things can be found in nature.

No comments: