Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Interior Design Workshop - Spotted Magpie Design

On Friday last week, I was invited to spend the day at a friend's newly opened Interior Design store in Paddington called Spotted Magpie Design. She has decided to run workshops as a part of the shop to introduce people to the ideas behind interior design and, if they need it, some people may ask for assistance in their own homes. I think it is a great sales tool.

I spent three hours with 8 other women creating a 'mood board' for one room in my house. I have never done anything like it before. It is all about how you want to feel when you are in that room and what colours, textures, sounds, aromas or scents and tastes influence you in that room.

Finally, I was able to decide on doing a board for our bedroom. Every room in our house needs redoing as we painted the whole house one colour (light butter cream) when we renovated to save costs. Now that I am at home everyday, I am feeling the need for some colour.

The whole experience was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed spending time with other women of all ages, and also spending timee with my friend (not as much as I would have liked).



Now I just have to convince Peter that the mauve and green colour scheme will look good. I think walls mauve with green highlights in the room, with a darker purple curtain. (I love the picture of the green glass candle holder - it really influenced my choice of green, not a colour I normally like).

Part of the influence for coming to this scheme was that the tutor asked us to think about our favourite place to be and to picture it and then think of the smells, sounds, textures, etc associated with that place.

For me, it was a bay in the Marlborough Sounds in New Zealand that was where some of my family lived, and we spent many holidays there when I was growing up. The bay was surrounded by pine-covered hills, there were only three houses, all family, and there was a small sandy beach, with a fresh water creek that ran down the hill to the shore, beautiful river rocks scattered all over the sand where the creek water ran out to sea. So the colours of the bay were a big influence for this.

Even some of the oriental fabrics I found would work and I would love to include some sort of Japanese fabric into the room. As I studied the language and culture for eight years it would be great to have some of the designs I love in the room.

As our room is a real sanctuary for us, from the day, the outside world and even from noisy kid, these were the colours that jumped out at me.

I really hope I can go to another workshop at Spotted Magpie, I had so much fun at this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

purple and green. The international colours of Feminism.... I hope you will hold off burning your bra until AFTER painting the walls ;-)