Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aunty Belle's 5-minute Lemon Cake

This is the cake I made. Usually it is foolproof, but obviously I was feeling foolish the other night when it collapsed on me!!! I changed the mixture but didn't change the time.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4oz. soft butter
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
Grated rind of 1 lemon

Sift flour; combine with sugar and lemon rind.
Add soft butter, egg and milk.
Beat well.
Pour into well-greased 8" ring tin and bake in moderate oven (180 degrees C/350 degrees F) for 35-40 minutes.
Ice with Lemon icing and sprinkle with coconut.

It really is one of the easiest cakes to make and is really moist. Just put everything into the bowl and stir.

Aunty Belle was my paternal grandmother's sister. She lived at Wingham (NSW) and was a really lovely lady. My Grandma and all her sisters made the best cakes - sponges, date loaves, all that sort of thing. I remember Aunty Belle having a silvery white bun on the back of her head and a few whiskers on her chin. And she had a slightly husky voice. She always wore an apron round the house, something not done so much nowadays.

3 comments:

photo a day 15til40 said...

this is a fantastic cake! I must admit it wasn't foolproof as it stuck to the bottom of the tin, although I blame the new fangles silicon loaf tin for that and will give it a proper chance on the weekend with metal and baking paper.

someone once told me a method of squeezing the juice of a lemon and sprinkling with sugar, immediately as the cake comes out of the oven. It ends up quite a nice crunchy top, and I think it would work well with this cake.

Elaine said...

I find that if I butter the tin and then sprinkle in some flour and completely coat the butter with flour that the cake doesn't stick - but that is in a metal tin.

photo a day 15til40 said...

the silicon forms are a bit unpredictable I've found. You have to let the cake completely cool before trying to get it out and possible I was a bit early (well, yes I was a bit early!). We are heading to a family BBQ tomorrow with cousins in Frankfurt so I might whip one up to take along. Could also go well with orange I guess.
So, enough of my hausfrau bit for today!